Wednesday, September 22, 2010

9-17-10 Zion Canyon-Remarkable!!!

Zion Canyon
Wow! looking straight up out the top of the shuttle bus


Outer site of the Zion Canyon Mountains

Minature fort & western town right out side of Zion Canyon



9-17-10 Sheila's comments:

We drove from Bryce to Zion Canyon today about 147 miles instead of the 68 mile shorter route because I am afraid of tunnels. If we had taken hwy 9 through the mountains we would have had to drive through a one lane tunnel that is over a mile long through the side of a great big rocky mountain.
We would also have to pay $15.00 for an escort through the tunnel and after speaking with someone else from NC that we met in Zion he told us we made an excellent decision because they were doing a lot of construction on hwy 9 and the road was really bad. So we drove back out to I-15 and then went south a little and picked up hwy 9 without having to go through this damn tunnel. You see I had all ready gone through this tunnel with Robbie a few years back and hyperventilated with him driving. One day I guess I will overcome this fear but was not ready for it today.
We arrived at Zion Canyon around 3:00pm and it was really hot about 95 and so we set up the RV which I can truthfully say I am getting good at now and debated on when to go up on the trolley to see the canyon. We found out the trolley ran until 10pm so we decided to wait for it to cool off some. Around 4:30 we walked up to the office and caught the bus to the entrance of the park about 1 mile and then went in the visitors center and bought our normal souvenirs. We rode the trolley up all the way to the last stop in the Canyon and got off and walked around the water(mountain stream) and took some pictures.
On the way down we talked with the couple from NC and some guy from California who was traveling with his grandmother. This guy cursed more than me and Joyce and talked more too if you can image that! He said his grandmother (who was about Joyce's age) had a van and she drove all over the US by herself and that she even drove to Alaska by herself. We think we met someone more strong willed and independent than were are because I don't think I would drive to Alaska by myself.
When we got off the shuttle bus back at the campsite it stopped us right in front of the Spotted Dog restaurant and it was the most wonderful smell of food so we went in for dinner. The sun was setting over the mountains on one side and the moon was on the other side, what a wonderful site. (tried to get pictures but they didn't turn out). We shared Pesto Chicken pasta and salad and walked back to the RV. The food was fabulous and the restaurant was very nice upscale place.
What a glorious day!

No comments:

Post a Comment