Sheila Wrote: 9/5/10:
550 miles - about 12 hours on the road!
Joyce really nailed this one on the head, we definitely couldn't find Kansas and boy what a joy ride. I have never seen such corn fields in all my life, bumpy dirt roads, cow pastures, small bridges and turning every which way to meander through the corn fields just to find the God forsaken place! I programmed into the GPS (Lucy) the town of Hiawatha, KS because it appeared to be the closest town to where we were when we realized we had pasted the entire state and of course we are on track to go into as many states as possible so Joyce can see them all. Anyway "Lucy" did a great job of getting us through the corn fields and we did finally get to Hiawatha, KS after getting further directions from the guys on the 4 wheeler and low and behold what was the first thing we saw..... Wal-Mart! So of course by this time we were exhausted and what else do two women want to do but go shopping in Wal-Mart and that is what we did. Oh, yeah forgot when we entered into Wal-Mart the alarm started going off because of something in my wallet so they had to scan me before they would let me in but we couldn't find anything. (later discovered that the new wallet I bought to take on the trip had an identification card with one of those tags still on it and I didn't know it) When we finally got back on the road we had backtracked about 100+ miles and so we drove late to get to the next stop. We stayed in Onawa, Iowa in the Blue Lake KOA which was even more beautiful than the last campground. It was on a lake with a lot of lily pads in the water and big weeping willow trees. It was also right next door to the Lewis & Clark state park and the indian reservation.
Joyce Wrote: September 5, 2010
Ok we know now why some people think people from NC are not the smartest in the world. We just knew we were going to go into the state of Kansas on I-29 MO but not so!!! How we past Kansas is a mystery to us!! But never the less we turned around & let our GPS (Lucy we call her) show us the shortest way to find Kansas. She carried us down real narrow roads full of pot holes & one road was gravel (unpaved) for 5 miles threw nothing but corn fields as far as you could see!!! We never saw a welcome to Kansas sign but came to the spot Lucy said was Kansas. All we saw was a hog pen at a T in the road. So we were like which way do we need to go now???? Then along came 2 guys riding a 4 wheeler so I flagged them over asked them " We are lost & Pardon my French but where the hell was Kansas?" They laughed & said we were in Kansas so Lucy was right!!! I guess they don't put Welcome to Kansas signs in corn fields. Then they told us how to get back to I-29 North going to SD. Our little detour was about 100 out of the way just so I could say I had been in Kansas!!!
Still on the road Love Ya'll Joyce
Funniest story about missing Kansas!
ReplyDelete